John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

I Hear Him

Last night I was snuggled up in my big bed, under the covers, with a little snaggle tooth five year old beside me. His hair was still damp from his bath and he smelled so good. I could just sit there and bury my nose in his back as I hold him and hug him or my nose in his hair as we snuggle forever. I love his little smell when he is fresh out of the bathtub. 

He crawled up in my bed and brought with him four books. He brought On the Moon, The Action Bibile, The Adventure Bible, and The Jesus Story Book Bible. I looked at all of these books and reminded him that we only had about 30 minutes to read before bedtime. 

We started off with On the Moon. I would read most of the passages on the pages but I would stop and point my finger to certain words and let him read those to me. He really loved doing that. He corrected me at one point in the book because it says "Launch off" instead of "Blast Off". Luckily, later in the book the author used the term "Blast Off" and all was right in the world again. He asked me a lot of questions while we read this book. He asked me if maybe one day he would go to the moon. I told him that anything is possible that you set your little mind to and that I believed he could do anything and be anything he wanted to when he grew up. He really liked that part. He snuggled in a little tighter.

On the Moon
Usborne Books

We moved quickly through the Action Bible and Adventure Bible. He really loves looking through these Bibles but they are still a little bit too mature for him.

     



NIV Adventure Bible


We then moved on to the Jesus Story Book Bible. We chose to read about... yep, you guessed it, Samuel! Sam loves reading about "himself" as he says. We read about Samuel and how his ears were tuned in to God's voice. We got finished reading that story and he took my hand in his little hand and laid his head on my arm and looked up and said, "Mom, I DO hear Him. I know what He is saying right now". Of course I asked him to tell me what he was hearing. He said that God was saying, "Your mommy is doing a good thing and a good job reading the Bible to you. You have a good mommy". I will forever remember last night. The night I cuddled him up, breathed the smell of his clean skin and hair deeply in and tried to hold it there so I would always remember it, held his hand in my "big bed", and got loving affirmations spoken over me. 

Front Cover  

Once he had told me that, he looked at me and said, "Now, tell me my good things!". So I reminded him that he is kind, a little cutie, a good friend, a good brother, a good son, loves to help others, etc. The list could go on and on... and it usually does. He loves hearing good things...like all of us do. 

Once we had finished up our book time I told him it was off to bed. He looked and said, "Oh! I am hungry! SO hungry! I need some food!". I promise you right now that the child had MORE than his fair share of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches cut into dinosaur shapes, chips, and popsicles that evening. This was a plot to stay up later. So I told him that he should have mentioned that BEFORE bedtime. He said, "But mommy, I didn't want to seem rude and interrupt you while you were reading to me from the Bible". He is sneaky that little Sam. Very smart that boy!

From now on I have decided to give him a little snack while we read so then there are no excuses!

I pray that Sam will always have "Samuel's ears" and tune into what God would have him to do. It was prophesied over him that the Lord would use his hearing loss to His glory one day and that He had given Sam the "ears of Samuel". 

I pray that Sam's kingdom purpose be revealed to him in a mighty way at an early age so that no time is wasted in confusion or rebellion...but that he will get right to work and be about his Father's business.




2 comments:

  1. I love this and I love your prayer over him. I believe God is going to be speaking loudly through our kids in these last days and we are going to hear more and more stories similar to what we experience with B and Sam! You are a wonderful mommy and I wish we could've got closer when we lived just a few miles away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pre-cious!! In so many ways! Love this, Sara Beth!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comment!