John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

Friday, December 14, 2012

Hand Picked

Last Wednesday night, Pastor Steve talked about adoption. 
Sure, he talked about being adopted into God's family. He reminded us of how he chose us and welcomes us into His royal family and makes us sons and daughters. He talked about how in the Bible when you were adopted you were treated as if you had always been in that family. You were given equal rights and equal responsibility. There were NO step-children...just children. They were immediately treated as if they had always been there. We listened as he talked about how special it is to be adopted. 

When you are born into a family, you are just kind of placed there. BUT when you are adopted you are chosen, hand picked

That got me to thinking about Kobe's "official" Rainey day. Of how I have always prayed against a root of rejection being set up inside of him. I have prayed that he would never feel abandoned or not wanted. I knew that the odds were that he would.  I have read articles and stories and books. I have heard women share of how they felt abandoned by one parent or the other and it  left them searching. Searching for love. Love in a bottle of pills... of alcohol. Love in a man. Love in addiction. I have seen friends try even in their adult age to make that parent that they didn't have a relationship with proud and happy. I have prayed so hard against all of these things for all of these years. I have cried over statements that I would hear from Kobe's own mouth. My heart has shattered when I witness him with hurt feelings. 

After that sermon, after watching a video about adoption and how it changed these kids lives... I have decided that instead of praying against all of these negative things... I am going to begin to pray FOR something. I am going to begin to pray that he feels...hand picked. Because, he was. Sure, he was born into my family, but John picked him...out of all the little boys in the whole world... John chose to make official what he was already been practicing through his actions everyday and became his "official" dad and gave him his new last name {Have I ever mentioned how much I really, really love this man?}. That name meant so much to me...but to Kobe...it gave him a sense of belonging

What an ultimate expression of God's love ... adoption. I know how my heart feels when I think of God accepting me, as I am, into His family and so I know that is how these children must feel. Pastor Steve ended it with a line from the video we watched: Unconditional love transforms lives. Yes, it does. It gives us a sense of belonging. That we are needed. That it just wouldn't be the same without us. We are vital to the everyday functions of the family (be it home or church). We are a part of something. 
Unconditional love. What a beautiful thing.
It transforms lives.

2 comments:

  1. Oh how I love this! And it teaches me to do the same thing for my niece. My sister and brother-in-law were never able to have children of their own, so they "hand-picked" their daughter Emily. Even at 7, she's had sooo many struggles and questions with being adopted. I pray from this day forward she feels hand-picked too. What a sweet and loving post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praying in agreement with you Cindi! I pray that a feeling of overwhelming love and belonging and acceptance is rained down from her Heavenly Father and that her earthly parents are able to pray with her and help her through rough patches. You know, they were hand picked too! God chose them to be sweet Emily's parents. He loaned her to them to care for here on this earth. How special!

      Delete

Thank you for your sweet comment!