John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

Monday, November 26, 2012

We Gathered Together...Happy Thanksgiving!

We had a nice Thanksgiving break this past week.

Sam and I went out to lunch on Tuesday to kick off our Thanksgiving break and met my friend Mona and her little girl, Mikayla there. We went to Trowbridge's downtown and had milkshakes and sandwiches. We love that little place! It is the place that I KNOW will bring an instant smile across the faces of my kids if they are having a bad day. It is so cute and fun.

 
 
After that we went to pick up Callum and Kobe and when we got home PawPaw Bruce and Diane were waiting for us in the driveway. The boys were pleasantly surprised...to say the least. They spent time playing football and showing off in the front yard and then it got chilly and we had to go inside.
 
As soon as John got home we went straight to church to help package and hand out boxes for Thanksgiving. The outreach project was called Nourishing Hope. I just love that title, don't you? We were responsible for taking two boxes into the community. We did and we chatted with the families and played with their kids and prayed and we cried when we left. We were just overcome with gratitude that we were able to serve these families. I am so thankful to be involved in a church that loves helping others and reaching out into our community.
 
{borrowed this picture from my Pastor's Facebook page} This was the set up in the gym of the church. How awesome is is that all of these people came together to serve others?? Go Faith Church!
 
 
We ate a late dinner that night and ended up staying up later than we should. I told Callum and Kobe that they didn't have to go to school on Wednesday unless they just wanted to. Of course, Callum quickly let us know he was taking FULL advantage of that offer but Kobe said he wanted to go on and go. Weird. Like I said, I stayed up WAY too late and couldn't stand the thought of setting my alarm so I didn't. I decided in my head (I am not sure if this is right or wrong but it is what I did) that I would just tell Kobe that I didn't set my alarm the next morning when he asked me why I didn't get him up for school. Well, at 7:10 AM  ( the time we leave for school) he was tapping me on my shoulder and said, "I am dressed, have all my stuff together, my coat and toboggan are on, I have brushed my hair and my teeth. Will you take me to school?". What could I say to that? So, of course I got up and took him to school. I came back home and got started on housework while the other two slept most of the morning.
 
Later in the day I took Callum to get his driver's permit. He was just a little proud of himself.
 
Once we got groceries and headed home it was time for him to get on the road with John and PawPaw Bruce to get to the airport to catch a flight to visit his mom for the Thanksgiving holiday.
 
He missed it. Yep, his flight. He missed his flight. So back home they came for the night and went out at 3:30 the next morning to catch the next available flight.
 
We started Thanksgiving morning off by me turning on the parade and making "Turkey Pancakes" for breakfast. Well, once the pancakes were gone... so were the kids. They had ZERO interest in watching the parade so John and I promptly started watching an episode of Criminal Minds. It is our "go to" show on the DVR.

Excuse the mouth... and the nose... and the eyes... I did the best I could! What matters is the boys LOVED them!


We had a late lunch at my parents house on Thanksgiving Day. It was delicious and my mom did a great job with everything. I brought a few side dishes and John made his deviled eggs. After lunch the boys went out to rake leaves into a pile and play in them. John and I followed. They would hide in the leaves and come tell me that they had lost the other one and want me to look for them. They always ended up jumping out of the leaf pile as I was walking by or standing there. Then they just played! They were filthy afterwards! They loved it!

Just being silly!

John, Sam, and Kobe...my favorite picture of the day

What was really going on...

Me and the boys!


I love them looking at each other!

His "sweet" face!

Brothers!



 My parents always go to a "Christmas Auction" on Thanksgiving night and this year was no different. They invited my in-laws to go and they were all taking off together. I love that they get along so well so that we can ALL be together for the holidays. They ended up taking our kids with them so that John and I could have a date night. We went to the movies and watched Red Dawn and then rode around laughing at people that were camped out (literally in tents! I couldn't believe it!) for Black Friday sales.
 
We went to bed soon after that because we did plan to hit one store up on Friday morning bright and early. We went to Best Buy where I got a new cell phone for FREE (which I really needed!) and then next door to Lifeway to buy some Bibles for our kids. After that we went to eat breakfast together...just the two of us before going to pick up the kids. When we got married we already had three kids between us and so we never really had those lazy mornings of going out for breakfast or hanging out after a movie. It was really nice to see how couples are when they first get together before having kids. I really, really enjoyed my time with John and I hope we can do it more often.

After Black Friday EARLY morning shopping... excuse the no make up from me in this picture.

 

Friday night we curled up on our cozy couch and watch Brave with the kids and just hung out.
 
Saturday morning John and the boys got up and got dressed to go meet Poppa (my dad) at the hunting camp. I had the whole day to myself! I couldn't believe it! What did I Do? OH... exactly what I wanted to do! I took my time about getting my day started. I laid on the couch with my comfy cozy blanket that my mom made me last year and sipped hot apple cider while watching old episodes of Criminal Minds. I got caught up on some other things that were on the DVR as well with NO interruptions. I ate leftover pizza for lunch and then I got down to business. I put up all the Christmas trees and decorated the house. I wanted to surprise the boys when they got home. I usually decorate the tree in the boys' room with sports ornaments but this year I decided to do a "Batman" theme. I used the Batman Helicopter as the tree topper and the Batmobile and Batman and Joker throughout the tree. I used our large Batman toys at the base of the tree to make it look like Gotham City. It turned out so cute and the boys LOVE it. I put Callum's tree up as well. His is a small tree that fits on his desk but that is just what he wants and so he was so pleased. I got the wreaths on the windows outside when the phone rang...
 
It was Kobe and he was calling on behalf of the Rainey boys wanting to know what was for dinner! Since Callum was still at his mom's house I decided to have a Hot Dog Bar. Callum HATES hot dogs but I LOVE Them. I grilled some hot dogs and put out chili, cheese, kraut, relish, ketchup, and mustard. I made some tater tots and a couple of kinds of  cookies. Dinner was ready right when they walked in. We ended up having a little picnic dinner in the living room and watched Home Alone. We all just laughed and laughed.

Sunday morning John got up bright and early and went to church. He was playing in the band for both services. I hate I had to miss it but I got to go pick up Callum from the airport. My dad agreed to ride along with me and I really enjoyed having that time with just my dad since the boys decided to stay with their Nana. We stopped for breakfast on the way and made it to the airport in plenty of time. We got Callum and we decided to stop for lunch at Steak and Shake and stopped at Academy Sports and just browsed around. We had a great time.
 
It was so nice to have us all back under the same roof last night.
 
None of us wanted to get up this morning but we were all very thankful to have someplace to go this morning and I can't wait to get back home to see my guys!
 
I hope you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving holiday as well!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your sweet comment!