John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Planting Seeds





As a mom I feel like I have little to no time to do what I want to do. I feel like my days are filled with doing for others. Which I do like serving others... but sometimes I do wish that I would make the time for myself. It isn't that I can't take time for ME it is that I CHOOSE to not take time for me. I feel awfully guilty when I do something for myself. I know that time away is good for a mom. A wife. Time away helps rejuvenate and restore. I know all of these things...but it is still hard for me to do.

I read Galatians 6:7 (Contemporary Version) You cannot fool God, so don’t make a fool of yourself! You will harvest what you plant.

You will reap what you sow.

I want to sow and I want it to be out of love...not necessity.

That got me to thinking about what I am planting in the lives of my family. God gave me this family. He hand picked me as John's wife and chose us to be earthly parents to these kids. 

So, although I may not be winning any awards or making "big" differences in the eyes of others...when I:

*Wake a child with a hug and a good morning
*Tell my children bye each morning and tell them how much I love them
*Have family dinner at our dinner table every night
*Have Rainey Family Cinema Night
*Hold a child who has had a tough day
*Kiss a child who is sick
*Hug a child who seems down
*Make sure there favorite shirt or pants are clean
*Pick up their favorite snack or drink at the store
*Surprise them with an outing
*Pass up those cute boots for me to take them to McDonald's Play Place and the movies
*Place notes in lunch boxes or suitcases
*Rub a head that hurts or a back at bedtime
*Listen to knock knock jokes
*Watch the same movies 6516875154 times
*Stand on the sidelines and wave like a crazy mom when they look my way
*Go out at 2:00 A.M. to bring a child home who changed their mind about spending the night
*Fix their favorite meals on their birthday
*Make their birthday special because it is the only ONE day that is theirs out of 365
*Buy terrible, yet thoughtful gifts for my husband!
*Try to give them the best that I can
*Search high and low for that one particular thing on their wish list
*Go without sleep to make sure those cupcakes or goody bags are ready for school the next day
*Spend my life driving kids everywhere!
*Make sacrifices that they will never, ever know about just to see them smile
*Make sure they have all they need and most all of what they want
*Listen
*Get involved
*Call or text a simple I love you. Have a good day.
*Pour a drink
*Fix a sandwich
*Do laundry
*Surprise them and mow the yard so they don't have to
*Help them with homework
*Help them with chores
*Help them figure out what to do about a life situation
*Tape Bible verses to the mirror in the bathroom and on the back of the cabinet doors
*Make sure they eat well and wash well
*Take them to church
*Walk what I talk
*Practice what I preach
*Give to strangers
*Love others
*Say I am sorry
*Show that I am not perfect
*Discipline when I need to
*Brag on them and show them I am proud of them
*Stick to my word
*Make promises....and keep them
*Smile at them in the rear view mirror when I catch them looking at me
*Let them linger a little longer even though it is past bedtime
*Give them a say
*Teach them to make their own decisions
*Stick up for them
*Show them right from wrong
*Pray for them each and every day
*Love them unconditionally...no.matter.what

When a gardener plants the seeds in the darkness of the soil, where one cannot see the growth in the light of day... it requires faith to see the flower which will grow at a future date.

{momheart.org}

God goes before us and prepares a way...even when there seems to be NO way. He has already been where we are going...He sees the harvest!


I am sowing love, trust, patience, joy, peace, gentleness, a sense of family...belonging, and I am setting a Christ-like example. I am planting little seeds every single day that will bloom when they are older. As I read over the list (Which I could have gone on and on!) and reflect... that isn't such a bad gig, huh? I like taking care of all of them. I love being available and I like what I am planting... I know it will sow great things in this life!




2 comments:

Thank you for your sweet comment!