John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

Monday, September 17, 2012

Broccoli


Today I would like to introduce you to someone new. His name is Broccoli. Broccoli is a blue chenille bear that has been in my family for eleven years. I didn't always know him as Broccoli but I will share a little with you about this bear.

When I found out I was pregnant as all mothers do, I couldn't wait to buy something for my little baby. I had no earthly idea if it was a boy or a girl but I felt like it was going to be a boy. I wanted a healthy baby but I would be COMPLETELY lying if I said I wasn't hoping for a little boy.

My mom and I went shopping together one day and we had decided that when we got ready to purchase some baby things to buy only gender neutral things until we found out pink or blue. But one particular day my mom took me into Shoals Variety (which was my grandmother's favorite store) and there on a shelf sat this little blue bear. I picked it up and the bear was so soft that I couldn't leave the store without it. The bear was blue. My mom tried to talk me out of it but I just couldn't wait. I had to have that little bear. I made my purchase and happily headed home with my first purchase for baby.

Later I would find out that it was a boy ... twice actually. Once in 2002 and then again in 2007. 

I packed it in my hospital bags and immediately introduced Kobe to that little blue bear, whom I lovingly referred to as "bear". 

A year or so later Kobe was talking (non-stop!) and kept saying he wanted Broccoli. I would fix him broccoli and he would eat it but he would just keep asking for it over and over again. Finally one day he told me that his bear's name was Broccoli. For some reason he went through a phase of naming animals (Stuffed and real) after vegetables. {He named a pet rabbit: Carrot.}

Broccoli went EVERYWHERE with Kobe. Up until just  a couple of years ago Kobe still slept with Broccoli every night. Until one night when Samuel was scared to go to bed in his own bed. Kobe gave him Broccoli. He told him that Broccoli helped him not feel so scared and that he was so soft to cuddle and was a good buddy to have. 

Now, Broccoli goes with Samuel everywhere. This bear has gone on MANY a trip with us and goes on many grocery store trips and has made several appearances at Show and Tell day. Samuel still sleeps with him and brings him anywhere I will agree to let him go. Now that Samuel is a little older, Broccoli ends up having to wait for him in the car while he is in church or school and most times at the store. 

I love that little Broccoli Bear and it really makes my heart happy to know that my boys love him too. I am a mother who lets my boys dress up as their favorite characters to run errands with me. I have taken Batman so many places in the past two years with me! Kobe would try to get upset and ask me to please not let Sam come dressed as Batman...but I reminded him that I have also taken a certain little boy dressed as a Power Ranger on many errands when he was little too! I don't mind letting a little blue bear tag along because I know that one day when I pull up to work and look in my backseat... I won't see this...



Mr. Broccoli Bear, 
Thank you for making errands fun and for always "helping" my boys eat their dinner at the table. Thanks for being so soft as they rub your little paw across their cheek to get to sleep. Thanks for softly catchhing tears as they cried on you when they were sick or hurt. Thanks for being such a loyal and dear buddy to my two little boys over the years. Thank you for always tagging along and sitting in the car while we all leave you behind (beside a half eaten honey bun in this case!). But most of all...thanks for making night time a little bit easier and for giving my boys something to cuddle up with. You are a good, good bear Mr. Broccoli Bear and I appreciate you!

Some moms keep scrapbooks and photo albums and papers that their children have scribbled on...and I do that too...but one thing I know for sure that is going in my Hope Chest at the foot of my bed is Dear old Mr. Broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your sweet comment!