John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Ten Things I Love about Summer

This week I am linking up with The Eloping Stethoscope this week and I am going to list my top ten favorite about the Summer.

1. Going to the Farmer's Market. I love going to pick up fresh fruits and vegetables. We have a favorite vendor and we get everything we can from them. The boys love going because if they look at something long enough the old man will say, "Hey boy! You wanna try some of that?" and of course they do and so he lets them. They seem to look at the cantaloupe most often.

2. Late, easy nights. We get to stay up a little later since the kids don't have to report to school and be ready to learn the next morning. We can sit up late and talk, giggle, watch movies, and just do whatever we want. We have no homework or tests to study for and it is wonderful!

3. Splash Pad! I love taking the kids to the splash pad. We have several in our area and so we try to visit them all but our favorite is at the Marriott. It is HUGE and afterwards the boys love to go and play on the playground that they have there as well. We have tried to start making it our little tradition to go get ice cream somewhere afterwards. Last week when we went we left there about 10:00 PM and went to Makadoos for frozen yogurt. Funny side story on that (for memory's sake): I got the pomegranate frozen yogurt with fresh blueberries as a topping. As I sat at the table with my kids I looked around and realized that I was the oldest person in there. (John was at a church playing music) I began to feel kind of cool. I looked at Haley and I said, "I feel so cool, trendy and hip just sitting here eating my fro yo." I was pretty impressed with myself to use the term "fro yo" in a sentence until she replied, "You might have been until you actually said that sentence." Then I got jerked back into reality when I looked and saw my five year old licking chocolate frozen yogurt off of the table. GROSS!

4. Late Night Ice Cream Dates. Again, no school, so we don't have to stick to a schedule if we don't want to. John and I still work but we are used to little to no sleep so we just hang in there. Sunday night after dinner we all loaded up and went out for ice cream. FUN TIMES!

5. Porch Sitting. I love sitting on my porch at the end of the day with a glass of tea and watching my kids run around in my yard. I love when they get the jelly jars out that we poked holes in the lids on and catch fireflies. I love that they can stay out even when it is dark and just run in the yard and play in their play/tree house.

6. Sundresses. This is considered an activity but it is one of my most favorite things about Summer. I love wearing cool (temperature wise) sundresses and throwing my hair up in a ponytail and slipping on my flip flops. It just seems like an easy life on those days.

7. No Sports. Ok, that sound mean but I don't mean it to be. Kobe plays football and basketball. So the only time we have "off" is during the summer except for summer camps and practice that begins in early August so I enjoy and covet my nights of relaxing with my family because I know pretty soon we will be at practice 4 nights a week and a game the other night and on the road to basketball games every Saturday during basketball season. I just enjoy having no particular place to go. When it starts up I will be the biggest fan ever...but until then... I will enjoy no practices and no running all around trying to make it to practice and games and fitting in homework and dinner too!

8. Fresh Watermelon and Strawberries. I love buying watermelon and strawberries. I probably by three pounds or more of strawberries every week and a watermelon a week in the summer months.

9. Movies at the Park. We haven't been this year and I don't know if we went last year but I love to go to our local park. It is almost always an old movie but the times we went it was a lot of fun to just bring a picnic basket and watch the movie. I think the last time we went it was Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

10. Festivals. There are several large festivals in our area (Helen Keller and W.C. Handy Festival) and it is so much fun to go and hear the music and participate in the street parties and vendor events.

1 comment:

  1. Love your list! It seems like everyone's list is pretty similar! I love that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comment!