John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

Monday, June 25, 2012

It's All Up To You

You know....things happen in life. Things we don't like. Things that are unfair. Things that hurt. Things that could have been helped. Things that couldn't have been helped. Things just happen sometimes. I don't ignore these things. I acknowledge that they have happened but I try to look at it a little differently.

That doesn't mean I try to "paint" my life differently or perfect. That means I CHOOSE to look at things differently. Sure, I could get down in the dumps over stuff that happens or I could look at it in a different light. I am not always able to look at it on a positive note. I have my days where I do just want to complain and get down about stuff. But, you know what, that usually makes me feel WORSE than the original thing that made me feel less than happy.

I am trying to learn to let things go quicker too. Holding on to all that junk is just stressful and ridiculous. I think that is why I sometimes have a different "take" on things or the way something happened. I may not remember it the way others do because I am trying to see the good and not dwell on it.

Sometimes hurtful words can cut me to the core. They can knock me around and stay with me. I am working on not only being able to just let it go and look on the bright side but also... forgetting. I hear people say, I have forgiven but I will never forget. Now, I am not saying to be a doormat but I am saying that if you forgive then you should just forget it too. Let it go. We are commanded to love each other like Christ loves us. He forgives and thankfully, He forgets. Sometimes, sure, there are times that we need to cut our ties and count it as a loss and move forward with our lives. Some things and some people are toxic to our lives and only cause more negative than good. That is not to say that they are not a good person...just not good for you. That don't mean you hate them, wish bad upon them, and never want to speak to them again. It just means, you don't want your life consumed by nonsense.

I have been noticing a lot of negativity and dwelling on bad things lately and using things as excuses and crutches instead of doing something about it and letting it go. I have never known a situation when negative talk and "rehashing" something one hundred times has worked. It is your actions that matter...not all the useless words.

We have to start speaking life into situations. We have to stop speaking death.

The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences. Proverbs 18:21 NLT


So, who cares who was right and who was wrong...what I care about is DOING the RIGHT thing. I care about extending the love and forgiveness of Christ to those that I meet.

I find that I am always overly nice and loving to those that I meet at work or in everyday life but I tend to be a little hard on those that I live with. My family deserves better than that and so I am going to start doing better on that. It is not that I am not nice to my husband and kids...but I know that I am a little shorter tempered and less patient with them when I know they are the ones I should be most patient with.

Don't let situations in life dictate how you react and respond. Let how you respond and react dictate the situations in you life. It is all up to you. You can make or break any given moment. Life is too short. Make it great!



3 comments:

  1. yes...these are important lessons!! We tell our kids over and over they cannot control most things in their lives..they cannot control other people, the weather,their teachers, their friends....they can only control their reaction to these things....
    good luck!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU for the post! It frustrates me to no end when people complain about those that try to see the positive angle or focus on the good in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I struggle with the same things! Being extra nice to those at work, etc. and not always so nice to those closest to me. I guess they're just the ones we feel most comfortable with, for one thing. Found you on the Weekend Blog Walk and am happy to be your newest follower! I would love for you to visit me back at http://www.two-in-diapers.blogspot.com! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comment!