John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

Monday, June 18, 2012

Happy Father's Day to John

Oh! John...where do I START? This man is a good dad.

I have watched him paint toenails, try to braid hair, read books to figure out what to do with a little girl. I have watched him dive all the way into different hobbies over the years just because one of the boys showed a little bit of interest. I have watched him be a dad from a distance to Haley and that isn't easy. But, he does his best and I am proud of him.

He wakes up early to go jogging with the boys at their request, he has sat through countless hours of sports events and practices, he plays Batman, and watches Transformers. He is a "cool" dad. He drives a Jeep with no doors and trains people how to fight. So, he is pretty much up there with Chuck Norris in the eyes of the boys.

The kids know that if someone tries to harm them, takes them, or does something to them...that they will be "having a bad day" as John put it once when he was explaining to Kobe that he will always be there for him and protect him. Now, if something happens to me or the kids...Kobe always reminds us that if they aren't careful John may make them "have a bad day". It always tickles me but it is true.

He shows his kids good work ethic and reminds them of the importance of education. He supports them and believes in them. He tells them they did well and hugs them and plays with them and wrestles with them. He takes them camping, hiking, watches UFC with them, I mean, who could ask for more?? He is definitely a man's man! The kids love it. I have heard both Sam and Kobe brag about him being a "fighter" on more than one occasion. I have heard them brag about his lifted truck or his Jeep. They are pretty proud. And while the things that they brag about will change over time... I have the feeling they will always be proud.

They all look up to him and seek his opinion and approval (in a house full of boys... I know nothing! At least Haley is here for the summer!). They want to wear what he wears and eat what he eats and do what he does. And... I guess he isn't a shabby little role model either.

This man LOVES God. He prays for us. He prays for our kids. He helps others. He would give the shirt off of his back if he had to. The kids still talk about the time he didn't show up for dinner one night. We have a little thing where we ALWAYS have dinner together at our dining room table (unless it is a special situation or we are out to eat but 6 nights a week guaranteed we are in the dining room). Well, one night we ate without John. The boys didn't want to. But, I explained to them that I didn't know when he would be back. John had ran into someone who was in bad shape and needed prayer and food. He immediately went to the store and brought groceries back to them and prayed for them...but mostly...he just let them know that there is someone that cares. He shared the love of Christ to them and the person told him that no one had ever shown them love like he had...yep, that is the kind of daddy my kids have.

He not only is a good daddy but he chose to be a daddy to Kobe and adopt him. (You can read on that HERE--worth the read if you ask me!) He didn't have to do this but he wanted to. I am so grateful and thankful to this man every single day for this act of love. Kobe wrote him a note for Father's Day and in it he wrote that he was so happy to be a Rainey. That melted my heart and I think it may have melted John's a little too.

We kicked off Father's Day with pancakes and sausage and fresh fruit. Of course the kids were DYING to give John a gift bag and so we did so during breakfast. This is what he got:

A Venus Fly Trap from Kobe
A Batman Movie from Samuel
A screwdriver tool kit from Haley

and an abundance of cards and drawings. Kobe picked out one about being a hero and Sam picked out one that sings (of course! He won't have it any other way!) and it sang a bushel and a peck. I love that song and it is a song that my momma taught me and then she taught it to Samuel so I love it!


I made him this and framed it in a thick black frame for Father's Day
Courtesy of Positively Splendid

After that we all went to church and Kobe and Samuel made John some crafts while in their classes. (I will post these pictures tomorrow. I am using them as my 52 Home project this week.) When church was over we all went to my parent's house. My dad grilled steaks and we brought baked potatoes and salad and my mom and dad made homemade vanilla and butter pecan ice cream. It was so delicious! I considered that my "cheat day" this week. Of course, the kids would stay forever if they could and did not want to leave but I was so tired and not feeling well (I ate TOO much and I am not used to eating that type of food anymore) and I was ready to go. Nana invited the kids to stay for a while to play in the water. So we let them.

Later my parents brought the kids back home and I made homemade chicken and dumplings for our dinner.

It was a great day. I really enjoyed it and I hope that John and my dad did too.

There is one other father that I am so thankful for ...my Heavenly Father. He is such a good, good Father. He loves me...no more no less than right now! He forgives me and has plans for my future that are full of hope. He washed all of my past regret, shame, guilt, and sins away by the blood of His son on the cross. I am so thankful for my Heavenly Father, for His sacrifice, and for His never ending love.




1 comment:

  1. This world needs more great Daddys it would be a better place:) Sounds like you guys had a wonderful Father's Day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comment!