John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Good Rule to Follow

I tell my boys this all the time... now I am going to put it writing for them.

If you wouldn't do it with ME or your DADDY standing right beside you then you shouldn't do it at all.


Actually, I say, If you wouldn't do it with one of us standing right there beside you ...then you better not! I just thought that way was a little nicer!

That is a pretty good rule to follow. I mean, if you feel comfortable doing it right in front of me then you will be just fine in doing it anywhere.

This is true for adults too. You can think of things that you would do or say in front of your own parents...or spouse... and think if it would be accepted. If not, then you shouldn't do it!

John and I have a "standing" rule (I guess you could call it that) to always think "Would I like it if he/she did this to me?" and if the answer is that it wouldn't bother me then I feel that it would be ok and if I KNOW that I would be upset if he did the exact same thing then I just don't. He agrees that this is a good rule of thumb.

You can take this one step farther. Would I treat this person or talk to this person this way if Jesus was standing right beside me. Would I have mumbled that under my breath? Would I have thought that thought as I kept my mouth tightly shut?


The fact is, He is right beside us at all times. He knows our thoughts before we even know them. We need to all (including myself) think about this in every single situation in our lives. If we all began thinking about these things and really putting them to use... I think we would see a BIG positive change.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your sweet comment!