John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Thankful Thursday 05-24-2012---Completey Different Meaning of Thankful

This past Thursday John and I met for lunch. We decided that we were going to test drive a new car. We went and picked it up and drove it straight to my dad. We wanted him to check it out and see what he thought before we made any decisions.

Upon arriving at my dad's shop John and I both noticed something wasn't right. A few minutes later my dad said he thought he was having a stroke.  He wasn't acting normal and his speech was a little slurred. We urged him to go to the hospital...but of course, he wouldn't before he finished looking at this car. John and I were not the LEAST bit concerned about this car now. We didn't care if we ever bought another car we just wanted him to go get checked out right away. We finally just told my mom to take him on and we would lock up for him. My mom was visibly upset as she tried calling his doctor's office. I offered to come straight back after we dropped this car off and got my car back. She would have normally told me no. To go on back to work and she would call me. When she didn't say that... I knew she was shaken and a little scared. So we drove as quickly and safely as we could and I made it back in record time. I cried and prayed probably some of the hardest cries and most heart felt prayers I ever have that day on the way back.

By the time I got to the ER my dad was already in a room and was getting some initial blood work and tests run. They came and took him for some cat scans and did some Xrays as well. We were all trying to be in good spirits and were laughing but we were all a little nervous. Ok, a lot nervous.

You see, my dad has always been the one we all turn to. The one who has always earned a living. He is the one who worked more to help provide for me and Kobe when I wanted to go back to school and couldn't work full time. And...then...I didn't work at all. He still helped support us. He was the first man in my life and he was the only man there for me and Kobe for a while. You see, he was the "head" of two households for a while. He picked up the slack. He is the one who is the one we always seek opinions and approval from. The one who has a level head and a sound mind when everyone else wants to fall apart. You see, he is the one that we really depend on. He is my daddy and my boy's poppa. I knew he wasn't going to die. I knew he was going to be just fine. But it really shook me up seeing my daddy lay there in that bed.

It turns out that he had an episode of  Bells Palsy. You can read more on it HERE. He has had some weakness in the left side of his face and hopefully will return to normal within a few months. His left eye won't shut all the way and his mouth is paralyzed on the left side. He can only open the right side for now. He has a crooked smile. I will take that crooked smile over what could have been.

I am so thankful that this was something that is not life changing or life threatening. I am so thankful that my dad is OK and on his way to recovery. He is getting better every day. I am thankful for my dad. He is a good husband.  He is a good father. He is a good father in law to John. He is a good Poppa to my kids. He is a good friend and hard worker. He keeps his promises.  He is a man of Faith who believes and trusts God.

I got this email from him and I don't think he would mind me sharing it... I want my boys to always remember what kind of man their Poppa is so I want to post it here. That way, it will be in my blog book for them to read and re-read even when we are long gone.

While I read your comments on your children going up and how much you love them my heart swells with pride. I wish I could have been the kind of parent that I see you being. I was far from what God says I should have been as a father and apologize for that. I had started typing this when you and John pulled up today and now I'm getting back to it. I wish I would have had the kind of relationship with God then that I do now so I could have been that father. It makes me happy knowing my grand children have that kind of parents. I know we had so bumps in our relationship especially when you got pregnant with Kobe. It wasn't because you had let me down it was because my dreams and plans for you had disappeared instantly. I was focused on "my" dreams and plans, I wasn't even considering your dreams or more importantly God's plans. God has thought me so much watching you for the past 10 years. As you watch these boys grow up enjoy your dreams for them but allow God to be in charge of the plans. He has a wonderful plan for them and still has huge plans for you and I look forward to watching the whole plan unfold.

Now, that my friends, is a good father. I am proud to call him my daddy. I am so thankful for who he was and who he is and who he is becoming.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your sweet comment!