John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

OH! The Places You Will Go!

Today Samuel James Rainey graduated from Preschool. Today I realize how short my time is with my kids. I have realized it before and probably even wrote about it but today...watching my little baby (my last baby!) sing a song about being a "graduate" and "It's off to Kindergarten I Go!"... I REALLY realized it.

I can not believe that my precious little pumpkin doodle (the little nickname I call Sam) is going off to Kindergarten. Sure, I knew this day would come but why so quickly?? I am just overwhelmed with love and thankfulness right now...it is leaking out of my eyes too! I can't help but cry because I am just so in love with this child and I am so very, very proud of him!

We arrived at graduation and I got this:



And When I opened it and saw this:


Prayer: Samuel Rainey


I had to get a tissue. I was told by his teachers and the director that Samuel asks to give prayer every single day in Chapel. I asked him what his prayer was and he told me this: "God, thank you for our mommies and daddies. Thank you for our brothers and sisters. Thank you for our nanas and poppas. Thank you for our teachers and and our school. Thank you for the sunshine and birds.Thank you for Jesus. Amen." I hope he always feels the need to give praise for all the things that our Heavenly Father so freely gives us!

He got a little nervous during graduation and didn't go through with this prayer but afterwards while we were sitting with the few people left he told us the prayer loud and proud.

All the preschool graduates came out looking so adorable and they recited the books of the Bible and sang the following songs:

Lord You are my Rainbow
Little Red Box (Sam's favorite)
Months of the Year
Hippopotamus
Off We Go to Kindergarten
I am a Graduate

All the songs were precious of course!!


Saying the books of the Bible

All the sweet little graduates

Singing a song and doing the hand motions


Ms. Nori, the director of Highland Park Christian Child Development Center, read an excerpt from "Oh! The Places You Will Go" by Dr. Seuss.

Congratulations!

Today is your day.
You're off to Great Places!
You're off and away!
So...

be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea,
you're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So...get on your way!

**Except she inserted each of their little names in place of the names in the book**

THEN...came the slide show. That is when I really needed my tissues. They played "Let Them Be Little" by Billy Dean and "Thank God for Kids" by the Oak Ridge Boys and I cried all the way through it. It was the sweetest little pictures of the kids interacting with their friends and with their teachers.

Chorus from Let Them Be Little

So let them be little,

'Cause they're only that way for a while.
Give 'em hope, give them praise,
Give them love every day.
Let 'em cry, let 'em giggle,
Let 'em sleep in the middle,
Oh, but let them be little.


Chorus from Thank God for Kids
 
Thank God for kids, there's magic for a while

A special kind of sunshine in a smile
Do you ever stop to think or wonder why
The nearest thing to heaven is a child.

When you get down on your knees tonight
To thank the Lord for His guiding light
And pray they turn out right
Thank God for kids.

Needless to say, this was very emotional for me. I finally snapped out it when the lights came back up and I heard all the sniffles and the teacher say something about everyone having tears in the eyes! Then the big moment came! The moment when the kids came back out in their caps and gowns to "Pomp and Circumstance" and received their little Preschool Diplomas and a Bible with their name engraved on it.

Walking to get his diploma and Bible


I think he was ready to be done!

My little Sam man

After that there was a little reception and they said they had punch, fruit, and CAKE!
 
I have promised myself to take more pictures and so here we go:


Sam and his "best bud", Parker

Preschool Diploma and Bible

PawPaw, Sam, Granny

Me and Sam

Sam and Me

US

Nana, Sam, Poppa

Two Peas in A Pod

Sam and Mrs. Nikki
They gave us a little gift for sharing our children with them:
 
I had a little wrapped surprise in my purse for Samuel too. When we went to tour Kilby for Kindergarten, they had a book about the kindergarten class at Kilby helping Una find Leo (university mascot lions) on UNAs campus one day when he gets lost. It is called "Looking for Leo". Of course, Samuel wanted one. I didn't buy it for him right then because I had it hidden in my desk and had written a special inscription in it for today.



I had a great time watching Samuel display what all he has learned. Of course, I loved it all. I love that he has had the opportunity to attend the Christian school. I can honestly say, we will miss it! I am really excited that he is going to Kilby since it is so close to my office. I would like to keep him small forever...but since I can't I guess having right across the street is the next best thing.

Samuel, I am so very proud of you. You make my heart smile big! You are a precious son of God and I cannot wait to see what He has in store for your life. I know that you are going to do big, big things for the advancement of the Kingdom of Christ. You will start Kindergarten soon and then before I know it... you will be graduating high school. No matter what you do or where you go...nothing can separate you from the love of God or from the love that me and your daddy have for you. You can do NOTHING that would ever make me love you less and I couldn't imagine loving you any more than I do at this very moment. There is someone who loves you even more than I do, and while that is so hard for me to comprehend, I know its true. He is our Heavenly Father. I pray for you and for your future and I love you with my whole heart!

I always tell the kids affirmations about themselves every single day. Each of them have three that are the same and then I add in different ones that make it "just for them". Samuel's normally goes a little something like this:

You are Kind.
You are Smart.
You are Important.
You are Sweet.
You are a good friend and son.
You use your manners.
You say good blessings at the dinner table.
You are a good helper.
You are loved.
You are a Prince.
You are Special.

He gets embarrassed sometimes hearing all these good things about himself and then he always says, "I know!" and I say "How do you know??" and he will say, "Because, you tell me every day!". Sometimes, I get carried away and just go on and on and on. The first three are always the same for each boy and then I go into specific things about them. I love these boys with my whole heart. I mean, it is so full of love that it feels like it just might burst sometimes. I am not perfect. I make mistakes and say and do things that I shouldn't. I am human. But I always go and apologize to my children and ask for forgiveness. They are my heart and soul and I am so proud of them.

Samuel, keep up the good work. I am so proud of who you are and who you are becoming.


Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.





1 comment:

Thank you for your sweet comment!