John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2012 Resolutions

This year I really hope to do the following things:

1. Take More Pictures. I look at my friend's blogs and Facebook posts and I realize that I don't take that many pictures. I feel like a bad mom because I didn't take ONE single picture during Christmas Eve or morning. I missed out on getting that picture by Santa's cookies in the pajamas and the looks on their faces while unwrapping gifts. I missed out on getting pictures of us and our friends on New Year's Eve. I got maybe 5 pictures total of all the kids birthday parties combined. I would like to commit to taking more pictures during special and non special times.

2. Being more Cheerful. I give constantly. I give to my boss, my coworkers, my husband, my children, my parents, my friends, my church, and even my pets. I like giving. It makes me happy. I love giving something and I especially like giving my time. However, sometimes by the end of the task I am not so cheerful and it ends ...well, not as great as it began. I would like to see myself be more cheerful as a daughter of God. I would like to be more cheerful as I do the laundry, walk the dogs, read a story to the kids, tuck them in at night, cook dinner, pay the bills, and even as I clean the bathroom.

3. Pay Better Attention. I pay attention at work. I pay attention while driving. I pay attention in church. I even pay attention to the TV. However, I don't always pay attention to conversations. I mean well... I really do. It always seems like I am trying to get to the next "thing" on my list and I end up rushing that conversation. I want to begin to pay closer attention to John when he tells me things, to the kids stories (even if I have heard them before), and to starting conversations with them instead of them coming to me all the time. I want to be able to pay such good attention that I really hear what they are saying and come back later for follow up details!

4. Get Healthy. It is no secret that I could stand to lose a few pounds... well more than a few actually....and I want to. But, more than that I want to be healthy. I want to create a healthy environment and healthy parents for my children. I want all of us to exercise more and eat better. I want to actually use my gym membership!

5. Get Organized. I am very organized when it comes to certain things. I am on one end of the spectrum...either REALLY organized or REALLY unorganized. I would like to organize my life a little better by beginning with our budget, closets, and kitchen cabinets!

6. Just Do It. I want to quit making "Wish Lists" and "To Do Lists". I want to actually DO it. Last year we finally updated our porch. It needed it and I love it. I felt so great pulling up and seeing that re-done porch. I want to feel that way more often. That feeling comes from a sense of accomplishment. Two of the MAIN things I want to do are re-do the bathroom and the backyard. I have others but I don't want to make it to where I am defeated before I begin. I will start off small and work myself to the bigger things.

7. Become a Better Steward of my Time. I would like to make wiser decisions on how to spend my time. I would like to take the boys for a walk instead of them sitting with me on the couch to watch a show/movie while I look at Facebook and play Words With Friends on my phone. That may not be the case each time, I'm just being honest. It happens. I would like to put my phone and TV away and spend some good quality time playing with my kids. A game of UNO or Scrabble. Maybe even Checkers or Monopoly or a game on the Wii??? I just want to find myself actually interacting more than I do now.

8. Read. I have two different aspects of this one. I would like to read more to myself and more to my kids. I have a book that John got me for Christmas that I haven't touched other than to move it from one table to another. I would like to sit down in the floor of my kids' room and read to them each night.

Well, there you have it. My candid, real, honest, at times painful, resolutions for the year 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your sweet comment!