John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Oh Christmas Tree!

This year, since I was off the same days as the boys, we decided to put our Christmas decorations out while John was at work on Black Friday. Callum and Kobe carried boxes and decorations from the attic and Samuel and I put them where they belong. Sam put our stocking holder together all by himself this year and we all put the tree up together. We decorated it and then tested it to see how pretty it looked. We then decided that we needed hot chocolate and Christmas movies to finish up our decorating time and while I decorated the dining room and front porch they each put up their Christmas trees in their rooms. It was very sweet and we had alot of fun hanging out and decorating together. We even all pitched in after it was all done and cleaned the floors and picked the house up so that it would be all nice and neat and clean for the weekend. I always enjoy getting that one box down... the one with all of the handmade ornaments and Christmas decorations that my children have made over the years. I see the themed trees and think of how nice they are and how beautiful they are... and for ONE split second I think of how nice it would be to have that beautiful, matching, themed tree... and then I remember the tiny handprints on clay, the glittered stars, the cotton ball beard on the Santas, the slightly colored/painted angels, the wreaths that are now missing some of their rhinestones or beads, the sweet crayola colored popsicle sticks that frame my children's sweet faces that hang on my tree and I remember why I don't have a themed tree. I believe that even as my children move off there will always be a "childhood" tree in my home to help me recall these memories.

One day as we were passing by a home, that was very small (that is saying a lot coming from me, considering our home is quite small) and was aging in appearance and upkeep, Samuel said he wishes that was our home. Kobe asked WHY??? Why would you want to live there? Sam said, "Because they have Christmas there." I looked closer and there was a wreath and a nativity set on their tiny porch. He wanted to live there because they had Christmas decorations and a baby Jesus and we had not put anything up just yet. I often wish we could all be as innocent and non-judgemental and non-materialistic as our children.

I am very, very excited about our Christmas break this year because I will be spending it with my babies at home. I plan for us to do our good deeds of Christmas like we do every year and I plan to bake cookies and POSSIBLY a gingerbread house. Every year the kids BEG me to buy one of those kits...this just may be the year to try that out.

It is closing in quickly. Between holiday parties and gathering and school functions we are pretty much booked solid this month but I wouldn't have it any other way. I enjoy getting to spend time with friends and family that we love. Every year I start getting stressed over details... this year I have decided to not allow myself to get to that point. I don't want my children to remember holidays as stressful situations. I want them to remember the love and time we put into them.


Our tree

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your sweet comment!