John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Trick-er Treat?

This year, I decided that we were going to "make" our costumes. Well, not ALL aspects of the costumes but that we would put them together ourselves instead of buying a plastic bag with the costume already inside. I just thought it would be fun to put our own "spin" on the outfits. I knew it would be hard to top last year's characters but I decided to give it a try! Becaue I wasn't blogging last year I will post a couple of pictures from last year just for the sake of remembering.

LAST YEAR:

Mr. T

We had him saying, " I pity the fool!"


Buzz Lightyear


He flew all over the place that night!

Ok, now back to this year. SO, after much debating we decided on our "characters" for the year. Callum was going to be Napolean Dynamite, Kobe finally decided on Steve Urkel, and Samuel decided on Alvin from Alvin and the Chipmunks. Right away we googled each of these characters and made a list of what all we would need to make these costumes look "real". I spent quite alot of time on each costume and was quite proud of the way they turned out! It was hard to beat last year's plans for Halloween because we went to Six Flags and spent the day there. But, we did end up having a really great time this year and (in my opinion) it was far better than Six Flags. We went to our church's Family Fest on Sunday night and played games and the kids got to jump in bounce houses and get their faces painted. They won prizes, trinkets, and candy! We got to spend time with our friends and family from church as we ate dinner together. Each year our church has a chili cook off and so we have chili for dinner at the fall festival. You can either get it in a bowl with crackers or on top of nachos, baked potatoes, or hot dogs! Everyone just pitches in and brings desserts and snacks and it is a really great time! Each one of us had a great time that evening.

The next morning (Halloween) we all got up and got ready for school and work. I put Taco Soup in the crockpot so that we could be ready to eat immediately when we got home, because in years past the boys have been ready to go trick or treating before it even gets dark! Samuel's daycare asked that we bring their costume to school that day so that they could dress them up and take them trick or treating. I had Samuel's costume laid out but he really wanted to go as Batman to school... so I let him. Partly because he will only be 4 once and partly because I didn't want anything to happen to his "real" costume for Halloween night. So, we got out Batman... then he wanted to WEAR it to school instead of pack it in his backpack... so I let him. Yes, I am that mom (as mentioned before in a previous blog that you can find HERE) I let him because how many more years will he ask to dress up as Batman for school... probably ZERO! So I dressed a little Batman for school, Threatened Kobe if he broke Reminded Kobe that his teacher's Fall gifts were breakable, gave hugs and kisses and wishes of a good day to everyone and off we went. My car was packed down with cupcakes, goody bags, teacher gifts, lunchboxes, and backpacks! It was worth it when I saw how proud Samuel was that he was walking into school as Batman...and that I brought cupcakes for his friends. He is the sweetest!

I had a fun day at work passing out candy and seeing some of the faculty and staff dressed up in their costumes! My two favorite parts of my day at work: when the preschoolers from Kilby walked over pulling a little wagon full of baked goods for a little taveling bake sale and hearig about when Dr. Blake gave his lecture in a Grim Reaper costume...complete with special effects in the planeteruim and a glowing mask! I bet the students loved it! As much fun as that was... I was really anxious to get home to my kids and have dinner and go out walking and spending time with them. I got straight to work when I got home and started fixing bowls of soup and pouring drinks. We had my parents over for dinner and so we all just sat and ate and talked and enjoyed eachother's company. After we were all finsihed eating we decided to hurry and get dressed up and get out and go trick or treating! Samuel kept asking me, "Mom, are we going to get some trickers??" I assume he thought that it was tricker treat instead of trick or treat. Before we left, Kobe decided he was too old for trick or treating. It really hurt my heart. Not because of the candy or that he didn't want to dress up (although I had put in a lot of time finding everything for his costume!) but because I recognized it as a sign of him getting older and growing up. Let's face it: They all grow up and get older but what parent wants to really accept that??? NOT ME!!! So, he changed back into his regular clothes and decided he would just come along to walk with Samuel up to the doors. We loaded up in the car and headed to my parent's house. We got out and walked into my parent's neighbor's yard (a neighbor that both of my boys have grown up knowing and loving) and they both froze. Neither of them wanted to go. They both literally begged us to go home. So, home we went. At first, I was aggrevated. Mainly because I had gotten out thinking we were going to do something and the plans changed and a little because of the costumes! But, after I thought about it... I realized that eventhough we did not go trick or treating...we did something that meant alot to all of us: We enjoyed a night at home. These days our schedules are so busy and hectic that we rarely have a night to do whatever we want due to sports, band, homework,meetings, obligations, and church activities. Sometimes, the kids (and me) just want to sit in front of the TV and watch a movie or play a video game. That night everyone got to enjoy something that they really wanted to do. It was a fun weekend and I am so thankful for the good family time that we got to spend together.


Goody bags for Sam and his friends: Halloween Glasses, Halloween shaped marshmallows, M&Ms, Smarties, Dum Dum Suckers, Halloween Gummies

Fall Candles I made for Fall Gifts for the Teachers

Callum as Napolean Dynamite

Kobe as Steve Urkel

Samuel as Alvin---I love his little ears!

All three boys!
Samuel in his Halloween glasses
Batman!

1 comment:

Thank you for your sweet comment!