John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

Monday, June 27, 2011

Half of A Decade


Half of a Decade. That is just five years. But what a difference it can make. Five years ago, I married my best friend. A few people didn’t think we should get married. We had only dated for around 8 months but we knew we wanted to be married to each other and why wait? So, we didn’t wait! We planned our wedding in less than two weeks and it was absolutely perfect.


We got married in Gatlinburg. We were married overlooking a beautiful mountain in a little flower covered gazebo. Callum was John’s Best “man”. Haley was my Maid of Honor and Kobe gave the bride away. I wore a white strapless dress with large black flowers on it that I found on the clearance rack at GAP and some beautiful black stilettos (my shoes cost more than the dress!). John wore black pants and a white shirt. Callum wore a button up shirt with orange and blue and brown and khakis. Haley wore a pink tank top and a floral skirt. Kobe wore a pink button up shirt and white shorts. That morning John surprised me with some beautiful pink flowers to serve as my bouquet. I can’t believe I had forgotten that I would want a bouquet! When he gave them to me he said, “Every Bride needs a bouquet!”. Our parents were there and John’s sister and her boyfriend were there. It was exactly what we wanted. Small and surrounded by the people we loved most and that most loved us.

Some days those five years seem like they have taken FOREVER and sometimes it feels like it was just yesterday. One thing is for sure: it is true what they say… that you love someone more and more…even more than the day you married them. I love who John was, is, and is becoming. I am loving living life with him and raising our family together. There have been rocky times but I am so thankful that we chose to “stick it out” and get through the bad parts so we could get to the good parts. I am glad that he is my best friend and I am thankful he is my partner in life. I have to brag on the Lord a little…He knew what he was doing when He put us together!

We had planned on having a date night to celebrate our anniversary. The kids packed their little backpacks and headed out to Nana and Poppa’s house and there we were. Alone. It rarely happens. We don’t know what to do when it does either! So, we decided on frozen pizza and Netflix! Just relaxing and talking and having no particular thing in mind. The next morning we slept in and then decided to make a day of just being together. We hung out all day long. Just us. We went to a flea market and just browsed around and talked and held hands and laughed. Then it was on to lunch. It was so nice to have lunch with him without taking a child to the bathroom and telling a child to eat and all the fun of having young children during a dining out experience. We went to Fat Boys Grill where they were playing episodes of Lost, which is one of our favorite shows. We took our time eating and talking and just savoring every moment. The owner, who also goes to church with us, decided to treat us to dessert since it was our anniversary. We shared our dessert and then it was time to go.

By that time it was time to go get the boys picked up. We were refreshed and ready to see them. We ended the day just as we wanted. All Together. I look forward to many more years with John and I am so thankful for our marriage.


On our Wedding Day June 17, 2006

Just Hanging Out June 17th, 2011



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your sweet comment!