John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sweet Samuel turns 4

As they say, every pregnancy is different. With my two…that was true. With Kobe I had the most uneventful pregnancy ever (Thank the good Lord above!). With Samuel, not so much. I began going into pre-term labor with Samuel around 23 weeks. I believe I ended up at the hospital three different times between 23 and 36 weeks to have my labor stopped. Each time they would give me a shot of terbutaline and monitor me for a couple of hours. Then they would have me take some Ambien before I left the hospital and send me on my way. Each time I would go home and crash for several hours. It wore me out! The terbutaline would make me feel like I was having a heart attack so I am glad they gave me something to help me sleep.

On a regular visit to our doctor one afternoon, he discovered that Samuel was already weighing in at over eight pounds. The only problem was is that I was only 35 weeks. Our doctor knew what I had been through with Kobe (birth to a child nearly eleven pounds) and did not want me to have to go through that again. Our doctor decided to schedule a section. I was terrified. But the fear of the section was soon subsided when I was told that not only would we monitor Samuel by ultrasound to make sure everything was ready for delivery, but also by amniocentesis. I had only seen this done on TV. I was absolutely terrified! I was even more terrified when we arrived and they told me that there was no anesthesia given for this procedure. I was crying before they ever began. I realized that right beside me was an ultrasound monitor and that I could see Samuel on it and so I focused my attention to that little monitor and had no idea it had even began, let alone that we were all done. Because I was only around 36 weeks gestation on that day the doctor wanted to check the surfactant in Samuel’s lungs. If the level was satisfactory, we would meet our baby boy that very day! The surfactant levels in his lungs weren’t satisfactory so he told me to go home and rest through the weekend and that we would come back together and that I would be scheduled to begin the c-section process to have him at 10:00 AM on Wednesday, May 30th, 2007.

So, I went home that Friday and began cleaning everything and getting ready to meet my sweet boy. That Wednesday morning, I woke up and realized that Buster didn’t have enough food to last him the three to four days I would be gone so I got ready to go to the hospital and then ran to pick him up some food and then once I got everything squared away, we headed to Eliza Coffee Memorial Hospital in Florence, Al. This was also a little different than with Kobe because I gave birth to him at Helen Keller Hospital in Tuscumbia, Al.

As soon as we arrived they began putting gowns and bracelets on me. Then they wanted to begin an IV. I immediately began crying. I don’t know why but I did. I knew I had to have an IV but I was petrified! A couple of hours passed and it was time to be moved to the Operating Room. Again, something different, and this time no one could go with me. I quickly became friends with the nurses and staff that would be with me during my journey to meet Samuel. They got me as comfortable as they possibly could and inserted the port they would be using for the medicine for my spinal block. They said that they couldn’t put the medicine in until the doctor called and said he was on the way. About that time, the OR phone rang and I got so nervous and excited all at once at the thought of meeting Samuel. Except, it was the doctor saying he had run into an emergency and was unable to make it right then and would be there as soon as possible. So, I am sitting on a COLD table with my feet dangling. Because it is a sterile field no one is allowed in yet and because the port has been inserted it is considered a sterile field so I had to stay seated with my back exposed and ready for the medicine to be administered. One of the sweet nurses got a stool for me to prop my feet up on because they were just dangling. At around 12:40 the doctor called and said he was finally on his way. So, I got the injection and laid back. Still… no John. The doctor came in and began the process and then they allowed John to come into the OR. Within a couple of minutes, I was told “It’s A Boy” (which, we already knew) and then the nurse said, “Oh My! He has the sweetest red hair!”. I began crying of course. Those who know me, know that is exactly what I wanted. They took him and John went with him. There I was by myself again. But this time I was so happy and excited and couldn’t wait to see Samuel and actually hold him. I ended up in recovery with a little bit of a problem of my blood not clotting properly so I stayed a little longer than normal and had to have a couple of shots of medicine to help with that and then I was able to go to my room. I got all settled in and got to finally meet and hold Samuel. Samuel James Rainey. We named him Samuel because I liked it and James because it was John’s grandfather’s name. He weighed in at 8 pounds and 4.5 ounces and he was 21 inches long. Born at 1:17 PM. I loved him more than I ever imagined I could. I mean to my very core I just felt such love and began crying uncontrollably. Every single time I saw him or held him or even thought of him I would begin sobbing. One night, while we were in the hospital, I began crying and John rushed to my side to find out what was wrong. I said “Nothing. Absolutely Nothing.” And that was the truth. At that very moment in time there was absolutely nothing wrong in my world. Everything was so perfect. I never even knew a piece of my heart was missing until I met that sweet baby and then he just filled it instantly. We stayed there for three nights and then got to go home on the fourth day. We were SO ready to get home with Samuel. One thing that I remember amazing me is that he was over eight pounds and over three weeks early and still we went and bought him “preemie” clothes.

Once home, we “fought” over who would hold him, bathe him, feed him, and rock him. We both just loved that little sweet boy so much. Samuel was such a sweet baby. He didn’t like to sleep and even at four years old he still hates to sleep! He is so afraid he is going to miss something.

He loved being swaddled to sleep. He took powder formula and loved being held. He liked his pacifier (later he would call it a pachi) but could live without it. He was easily weaned from bottle and pacifier but not being held and rocked to sleep… as he still requires that now. I can look back and see how nervous I was with Samuel. Not the nervousness of a "new mom" but of an "experienced mom". The mom who knows statistics and about recalls. Before, I just did the best I could and it seemed to work ok but this time around... everything had to be planned out and "just right". He allowed me to be a regular mommy. I didn't have to be the mommy and the daddy with him. I had not known what it was like to share responsibilities in parenthood until Samuel and I believe it made me relax a little bit on some things with him because John was there. I got to "spoil" him with gadgets and gizmos... something I hadn't been able to do before. I got to do every single thing I wanted and needed to do with him. I don't know which is better or worse but I think age,maturity,and him being my "last baby" had something to do with it.

For Samuel's birthday we let him do whatever he wanted! Because his birthday fell on Memorial Day this year, we were all at home together. He played with anything and every single toy he wanted. He played games on the PS3 and Wii and he cuddled up for some cartoons too. Then my grandmother had a cookout and after that we sang Happy Birthday and had cake. I wasn't planning on having a cake on his actual birthday. I was planning to have make-your-own-sundaes for desert. However, earlier in the day during one of the times that I was singing Happy Birthday to him he told me that it couldn't be his "real birthday". I asked why. He told me that he had been looking around and didn't see a cake. So, I decided an emergency Wal-Mart trip was in order and went and got a birthday "day" cake. He was very pleased!

Samuel just turned four and I can barely believe that …even when I say it out loud. It does not seem like my little sweet baby should be four already. I hate the way time flies. I get the sting of tears in my eyes just thinking of it. Yesterday, John came across some old pictures of Samuel and of course, I just cried as I looked at them.He is my little fearless leader. He doesn’t mind being first to do anything! He LOVES getting dirty and in fact will invent ways to get as dirty as possible. He will try anything and is absolutely the light of my life. I adore him. He is loved by his brothers and sister. He is loved by all of his classmates and teachers. In fact, they tell me he is the BEST child in class. He loves saying the blessing at mealtime and loves singing songs and dancing. He knows the 10 commandments and all of his colors and shapes (including an octogan!—that impresses me!). He knows that Jesus died on a cross and loves him very much. He loves the moon and stars and loves looking at animals (mainly birds and squirrels). Next year my sweet little love with go to Kindergarten. I can tell you right now that I am NOT ready for that day. I absolutely adore him and am so thankful for each and every single day I have with him. He is my little Wild Man. My little Sam man. My little Monkey man. He is the one person in the entire world that can make me smile after the worst day. When I go to pick him up from school and he runs to me with those arms wide open yelling “mommy” it absolutely melts my heart!

Everytime I see him it makes me think of a song that I used to sing and cry as I sang it because it just made me think of him. I used to sing "Bubbly" by Colbie Calliat to him when he was in my belly and then once he was here. Everytime I hear that song it brings a smile to my heart and face. I am so honored that God chose me to be this little one's mommy. According to Sam, four years old is when you are OFFICIALLY a "big kid". Looks like I have a "big kid" on my hands now.  I think we are a perfect fit. He tells me "Mommy, I'm not a baby but you can call me YOUR baby". He tells me he will ALWAYS be my baby and will live at home with me FOREVER! Ok, my sweet Sam... I am holding you to that one!

My Big Boy!

Yep, He is FOUR

With his birthday "day" cake. I chose Curious George because he is my little "monkey man" and the monkey actually swang back and forth on the swing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your sweet comment!