John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

John, Sara Beth, Callum, Haley, Kobe, and Samuel

Monday, February 21, 2011

Sunny Days...Rainey Style

This year, Old Man Winter has made several trips to visit us here in Alabama. It’s like he got here and decided to just take his coat off and stay a while! As many of you know, it has been down-right freezing here in our neck of the woods. Some may think we tend to “over-react” to cold temperatures and snow, and maybe we do a little, but we live in the South and we just aren’t used to freezing and having a couple of feet of snow on the ground. I will admit, it had its fun moments and we can enjoy “snow days” because we aren’t accustomed to this type of weather but after a day of snow, I am ready to get my life back to normal. We have all felt cooped up inside and heard the “Mommy, can we PLEASE go outside and play?” question hundreds of times and always had to give the very same answer, “No, it is too cold”. We have heard the declarations of “I’m BORED!” more times than we care to recount and found ourselves wishing for warmer weather. So, as you can imagine, my household greeted this weekend and the weather it brought with open arms.
Friday, John got off from work earlier than usual and was home before I got off from work so I was blessed to be able to drive straight from work to home without having to stop at three different places to pick up all three boys. It really was nice to be able to just go straight home! When I got there all three boys were out in the yard playing. I love pulling up and seeing them all outside using their imaginations and just getting dirty. Once I got my kisses and hugs from little boys who had missed me that day, we decided a trip to the park was in order. Callum strapped on his in-line skates, Kobe and Samuel got on their bicycles and we put Chief on his leash. John helped navigate Samuel out of the way of traffic and I held on to Chief and we walked to the park at the school a couple of blocks from our house. Once we got there the kids ran and jumped and played on the playground. John and I took turns pushing them on the swings and Callum practiced skating. Everyone enjoyed themselves. Before we knew it, it was getting dark and we still had to walk back home. We walked/rode home and the kids were so happy to be out in the fresh air just getting dirty and having fun. John and I were happy because we enjoy taking walks together and talking as we go. We ate dinner late that night but it was worth it, we all had a great time.
Saturday was equally as nice outside. Kobe, Samuel, and myself were headed to a work day at church and to have Samuel's pictures taken for the hallway at church. We were going to meet my parents there. Haley came into town the night before so she and John got up early and went hiking at Cane Creek for the day to spend a little quality time together since he doesn't get to see her much. Callum went to visit with his mom for the day while they were in town so it was just me and the boys. We were up early and headed to get Samuel’s pictures made for the hallway at church. It was a fun time and we ended up at the park. It was hard steering the kids past the playground and to where they were having their pictures taken. Samuel decided he didn’t want his picture taken, so he sat down on a stool and began playing the guitar… little did he know that he had just set himself up for having some very adorable and candid pictures taken. He loves music and guitars so his pictures really fit him that day.









After the picture session was over it was time to head home. Before we went home, my mom took my car and the boys to get a Happy Meal and my dad and I headed out to get a couple of things. He helped me get a mattress loaded up and then we went to Wal-Mart. That is saying a LOT ... my Dad HATES Wal-Mart. I purchased a book shelf and my dad helped me load it into the buggy and the car.  I had big plans for that afternoon. I was cleaning out the boys’ rooms and re-arranging and re-decorating them. The kids got to play outside for a couple of hours with my mom watching them while their room was being re-done. My Dad helped me take the bunk beds down and get everything moved around and taught me how to fix closet doors too. He helped me figure out where to put everything and helped me make their room just like I envisioned it looking.I wanted it to be a little bit of a surprise. Once it was mostly finished, Kobe came in and told me, “I can’t tell you in words how much I LOVE my new room! I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT!”. That meant so much to me to hear him so happy about his new room, especially since he was now sharing a room with Samuel. Samuel was absolutely thrilled when he found out he was sharing a room with his big brother and now had a “big boy” bed. Samuel slept in his own bed for the very first time that night. I am so proud of him and he was proud of himself too! Every time we are all in their bedroom they both tell me how much they love their new room and tell me Thank You! The only thing I have left to do is put the wall hangings up. I have them special ordered and when I get them and put them on the walls, it will be completed. I can’t wait!





I also re-arranged Samuel’s old room into a new “teenage room” for Callum. I am not quite finished with it yet but I hope to be after this next weekend. Even though the room isn’t finished, when Callum saw it he was so happy, he didn’t say much, he just came up and hugged me. I am glad that they are all happy with their new rooms and arrangements. Callum spent most of the evening in his very own room with the door shut. He is so proud to finally have some privacy! We only have a couple things left to do in Callum’s room and I don’t see why we won’t get those finished up this weekend… I know he can’t wait!

I will post pictures of the end result as soon as he rooms are completed.

After I was finished with the rooms on Saturday both Samuel and Kobe were dying to get back outside and play some more. So, we went back out and I think they played with every single outside toy we have. They rode bikes, scooters, skateboards, and Samuel drove his John Deer Gator all over. They hooked his wagon up to his bike and it made me laugh because he reminded me so much of Dennis the Menace with his little wagon full of sticks, pecans, leaves, and whatever else would let him pick it up and put it in there. Even Buster got a ride in the wagon that day.
Sunday afternoon was no different: sunny, beautiful, and warm! After church we had lunch and then a nap and then of course, the rest of the day was spent outside. I am thankful for this warmer weather and the time that it gives us to be together. It has been a great weekend and I look forward to so many more just spending time with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your sweet comment!